NYHIST-L Archives

January 2001

From:
"Pullen, Sharon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:14:51 -0500
David,
        The most conspicuous fault with the NEWSDAY series as a teaching
resource, is that it fails to site the many repository collections from
which the information was taken.
        Of course, the articles are written for easy comprehension so the
grade level of students might affect your decision in using it.  As far as
the website goes, it is convenient for a quick look-up type of thing for
anyone.  However, the series was done a few years ago (3 or 4?)so any
addresses of Historical Societies, etc. should be double-checked.
        You know, many historical societies have websites with links
specific to teachers and/or students.  If you look on the County Clerk's
website under the departments list, you will find a list of repositories in
Nassau & Suffolk under "Historical Documents Library" and a separate link
for "Suffolk County Historical Societies".  Good luck with your project.

Sharon A. Pullen, CA
Suffolk County Archivist
Historical Documents Library
310 Center Drive