NYHIST-L Archives

December 1999

Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 17:30:01 EST
In a message dated 12/2/99 10:34:23 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< I would be interested in hearing other responses to "New York."  What
people liked about and didn't like about it, and what you would have done
differently? Why was the show so popular, and what does that tell us about
the gap between serious scholarship and middlebrow documentaries?   What
purpose does a series such as "New York serve? And what lessons do the
achievements and shortcomings of   "New York"  hold for  those who write upon
or teach the history of  New York City and New York State?

I, as a born and bred New Yorker, found it interesting.  However, I also
thought there was a lot to be desired regarding objectivity.  As usual, PBS
had to inject their propaganda, concerning social situations.

For one thing, I was annoyed at the very beginning with what seemed to me to
be a testimony to Walt Whitman....too much time was spent on his  opinions.

Secondly, I know the "Shirtwaist Factory" was a tragic thing but did we have
to keep listening to "Thud".."Thud' over and over again as each body fell to
the ground?  Another waste of time.

I appreciated the Brooklyn Bridge segment and many others, but on the whole
it seemed to me that it was a very opinionated program and I agree that the
Dutch did get a bad rap, which sounded unfair to me.

I can't wait for their take on FDR which should follow. Of course, I expect
him to be heralded as the "Savior"...Mark my words :-)

What else is new with PBS?

Eileen in NY