NYHIST-L Archives

March 2002

From:
Phil Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 09:49:47 -0500
I am trying to get focused on this "canal" and am finding ambiguous or contradictory data in the literature.

My understanding, thus far, is that is was a dead-end slip, dug in the mid-1600s, to allow ships into New Amsterdam from the harbor. It did not cut through from river to river, and was filled in in the late 1600s.

If anyone has any primary sources or better insights, I would appreciate hearing from you.