NYHIST-L Archives

July 1998

From:
Wayne Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 11:10:25 -0400
Greg,
In, "Battle of Plattsburgh: List of pensioners of the War of 1812," by
Byron Clark (Burlinton, 1904), along with a complete list of all Americans
who served is the following information about the English losses. On P.
72-3 is lists that the English had 1050 men in their 15 vessels. Of these
84 were killed and 110 wounded. This information is from a communication
sent by Commodore Macdonough to a citizen of Burlington. It goes on to say
the British officers killed were Commodore Downie, Captain Pring, and six
or eight lieutenants. On page 69 there is a list of peisoners captured on
11th September and sent to Greenbush. I have not time to make a complete
search of all our resources, including manuscript, but would be happy to
show them to you if you could stop by the library.
Wayne Miller
Special collections Librarian
SUNY Plattsburgh

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Greg Furness wrote:

> I am trying to determine the names of the British casualties of the
> Naval Engagement; so far without luck; numbers only in Returns.[Names of
> American casualties readily available from Macdonogh's reports.] Public
> Archives of Canada little help, and am leery to begin with the London
> Public Record Office without having a reearcher on that side of the
> "pond". Any suggestions of a source for these names appreciated!
> --
> Greg Furness
> Senior Researcher
> NYS Parks & Recreation
> 19 Camp Red Cloud Rd.
> Plattsburgh, NY  12901
> (518) 563-9952
> FAX (518)563-8859

Wayne L. Miller                         Special Collections Librarian
Feinberg Library                        2 Draper Avenue
518-564-5206                            Plattsburgh, NY 12901
[log in to unmask]      or             [log in to unmask]
        "I wonder what will happen today!"  -Maggie Muggins-
"Not even God can change history...which is why he tolerates historians."
                                        -Voltaire