NYHIST-L Archives

March 2007

From:
Natalie Naylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 18:23:09 -0500
Yes, there still is a LI Studies Institute at Hofstra (West Campus;
516-463-6411). The Cradle of Aviation museum on Mitchel Field (Joshua
Stoff, curator) includes WWII and space module as well as exhibits on
early aviation. The phone number for the Grumman History Center (run by
volunteers these days) is 516-349-5941; last time I contacted them, Mon.
& Wed. were the days someone was there. In addition to the other places
David Roberts mentions, I'd suggest American Airpower Museum at Republic
Airport, East Farmingdale 631-293-6398; and the Long Island Republic
Airport Historical Society which has exhibits at Republic Airport.

Natalie Naylor
Hofstra Univ. Emerita

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/03/07 9:29 AM >>>
Jim:

I would suggest contacting the Suffolk County Historical Society in
Riverhead, the Huntington Historical Society in Huntington, the Oyster
Bay
Historical Society in Oyster Bay, and probably also the Northrup-Grumman
Corporation. I'm sure that Northrup-Grumman must have a corporate
archive on
the operations at Bethpage during WWII.

Hofstra University used to have a Long Island Studies Center. If they
still
do, that might be another good source. There is an aviation museum at
the
former Roosevelt Field, Garden City. I'm not sure if they cover history
as
late as WWII; I think they might be more into the early years of flight.

I hope this has been helpful.

David

David Roberts
Hollywood, MD