NYHIST-L Archives

August 2013

From:
HIST- Historian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2013 15:54:17 +0000
Titles such as first, oldest, largest.....are very dangerous because they are almost impossible to document. There is always some special caveat that makes some other place earlier, bigger.....etc.

Here in Wayne County we claim the first woman to be ordained a minister and the first Civil War Monument in NYS and the oldest theater in the USA in continuous operation.

There are plenty of people and organizations out there who would be willing to do battle over those clains. I tend to back off and say things like
"one of the first or oldest...etc." I just don't want to get into a nit picking contest with others. "Nit Picking" isn't healthy for the general history community.

All the best,
Peter