NYHIST-L Archives

April 1999

Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 16:57:00 EDT
Hi Ian,

Don't know if this helps with your questions, but the State did another big
purchase in the late 1950's and early 1960's. This, if my memory is correct,
consisted of some 75,000 acres of land spread across New York. I worked in
what was called Forest District # 4 out of the New York State Conservation
Department office in Bath, New York during the early 1960's. I did forest
inventory on a good deal of the land we held from previous purchases, making
recommendations for harvesting, planting, checking on past plantings, etc. I
also worked on some of the surveying of the new lands purchased. In the back
of my mind it seems that the number of acres purchased in District # 4 was in
the area of 20,000 acres and my memory is also that all of this adjoined
current holdings.

It was the best investment the State of New York ever made in my opinion.
Much of the land was purchased for under $10 per acre.

If any of this is helpful and you need more information that I could supply,
feel free to contact me. I am in e-mail contact with at least one other guy
who worked in this program.

Les Buell