NYHIST-L Archives

November 1999

From:
Philip Terrie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 11:06:23 -0500
>Am I to read this right.  The amount of Forest Land is increasing in NYS?
>
>Jim Maguire

Yes, indeed.

Although when we see the relentless march of the suburbs into the
countryside and see open space gobbled up by malls and housing
developments, this seems counterintuitive, in fact the entire Northeast is
much more extensively forested than it was a century ago, mostly because of
abandoned farms.  Even in the Adirondacks, there is more mature forest
today than there was in 1910.

Bill McKibben had an interesting and useful article on this phenomenon: "An
Explosion of Green," The Atlantic Monthly,  Apr 1995. p.61-83.

cheers,
phil

Philip G. Terrie, Director
American Culture Studies