NYHIST-L Archives

January 2003

From:
gerard koeppel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:10:07 -0500
I'm sure many good ideas besides this one will come in. The first
complete provincial census, taken in 1698 on the order of Governor
Bellomont, came up with a population of 18,067. This information is in
Ira Rosenwaike, Population History of New York City (Syracuse UP, 1972),
  p7, citing the Census of the State of New York for 1855 (Albany,
1857), which contained data from numerous early censuses. Rosenwaike
should be available in good local NY libraries

Gerard Koeppel
www.gerardkoeppel.com