NYHIST-L Archives

April 2012

NYHIST-L@LISTSERV01P.NYSED.GOV

From:
Robert Sullivan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2012 19:25:31 -0400
The first edition of our index to the Schenectady County portion of
the 1940 U. S. Census is now online:

<http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/census/1940/index.html>

The index includes the 879 residents of the Village of Delanson (Town
of Duanesburg) and the Town of Princetown, and links to transcripts of
the names in their original order, as well as scans of the full
records at the National Archives.  We hope to have the other two
Duanesburg districts up soon.  A complete list of boundary
descriptions for each of the 111 enumeration districts is also online.

Visitors to the Central Library will have access to our extensive city
directory collection, as well as unlimited use of our Ancestry
subscription.  In addition to Schenectady directories, we also have
Albany from 1940, Amsterdam (1920-1984), Gloversville (1917-1960),
Saratoga Springs (1942-1990) and Troy from 1940.

I have printed enlarged copies of the enumeration district maps of the
county for those who want to look in a certain area.  The maps are in
the top drawer of the map case on top of the clippings file.

Because the areas outside the City of Schenectady and the Village of
Scotia are not well-represented in the directories of that era, we are
concentrating on indexing the towns first.  If anyone is interested in
helping, the work is extremely simple... we just have a lot of it. :-)

--
Bob Sullivan
Schenectady Digital History Archive