NYHIST-L Archives

November 2000

From:
"Thomas W. Perrin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 15:57:09 -0500
I would check newspapers for reports of death from cholera and typhoid
as indicators of poor sanitary conditions.  The medical journals of the
time should also have articles by physicians on the state of
sanitation.  Also, one should consider the considerable effects of
animal dung (from horses and pigs) on the streets.  When dry, it turned
to dust and blew everywhere. When wet, well, it wasn't nice! I would
also want to look at the water and sewer pipes. What were they made of?
Wood, Iron or clay?  Indoor plumbing? Fuggitabouttit! What was the
proximity of open sewers to water sources?

A short overview of the general situation can be found in William H.
McNeil's Plagues and Peoples, Doubleday, 1977 later reprinted in
paperback. The sources cited on cholera and the public health movement
should be helpful.

Tom Perrin