NYHIST-L Archives

December 2002

From:
George Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 18:49:02 -0500
I dare say you are intending to exclude anyone who achieved a bad eminence?  Villains are a part of our history too.  But I take it that this is meant to be a feel-good project.

In any event, how about Jacob Hays, High Constable of New York City from about 1810 to 1850.
Dr. Charles Norris, first Medical Examiner of NYC
Owen Kildare, Bowery thug turned journalist and novelist, author of My Mamie Rose and several other books  My Mamie Rose is an interesting book. his life a fascinating story.
Varerian J. O'Farrell, policeman, private detective, and considered for the first head of the F. B. I (but J. Edgar Hoover managed to get a knife into his back first)
James Hewlett, star of The African Theatre (but his place of birth is not known for certain)
Ira Aldridge, actor
James McCune Smith, graduate of the University of Glasgow and advocate for the rights of black New Yorkers, 1830s and after
David Ruggles, also a black activist of the 1830s
Cato Alexander

GAT

George A. Thompson
Author of A Documentary History of "The African
Theatre", Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998.