NYHIST-L Archives

February 2006

From:
Bonita Weddle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 16:57:43 -0500
To the best of my knowledge, there is no published source that contains
a complete list of the commissioners of the Conservation Department or
its successor agency, the Department of Environmental Conservation.  It
is possible to identify commissioners' names by going through
Conservation Department publications held by annual reports and tracking
changes in personnel over time.

The New York Times-Historical database offered by ProQuest is another
useful source of information.  This database is available at the New
York State Library (one must come to NYSL to use it) and at various
academic libraries throughout the state.  Constructing a search that
combines "New York,"  "conservation department," and "commissioner" will
pull up articles relating to commissioners' appointments, resignations,
etc., and obituaries of former commissioners.

Having processed and described several series of records created by the
Conservation Department, I can tell you that the last three
commissioners were:

Sharon J. Mauhs (1901-1964), who was appointed by Governor W. Averill
Harriman on August 23, 1956.

Harold G. Wilm (1907- ), who was appointed by Governor Nelson A.
Rockefeller on January 1, 1959.

R. Stewart Kilbourne (1906-1992), who was appointed by Governor Nelson
A. Rockefeller on February 8, 1966.

The first commissioner of the newly created Department of Environmental
Conservation was Henry L. Diamond (1932- ), who was appointed by
Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller on July 1, 1970.

Hope this helps!

Bonita L. Weddle
Senior Archivist
Archival Services
New York State Archives
9C71 Cultural Education Center
Albany, NY 12230
518-473-4258

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/29/06 8:53 PM >>>
I am trying to locate a list of the the Commissioners of the New York
State
Conservation Department (1926 - 1970), and their dates of service. No
luck
with a GOOGLE search. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Les Buell