NYHIST-L Archives

October 2003

From:
David Palmquist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:11:21 -0400
It's not by Carmer nor about Cazenovia, but I enjoyed the tape recorded
reading of " 'Tis" by Frank McCourt, which is read by McCourt himself.
I believe the six cassettes I have are an unabridged reading of the
book.  McCourt gives generous attention to his arrival in NY, finding an
apartment, getting a job (a lowly position in a posh NYC hotel), getting
into college, drinking, dating and marrying.  A clear-headed look at
post- WW II NYC, useful because we tend to think of Irish immigration as
1840s, not 1940s.

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/22/03 10:57PM >>>
I've been doing a lot of travel lately and am running out of
interesting
books on tape to listen to.

Are there any good NY state titles that have been recorded for poor
souls
like me?

        Dan W.

http://users.erols.com/weiskotten/ChesterfieldCourthouseDig2003100dpi5x7.jpg