NYHIST-L Archives

September 2002

From:
Scott Monje <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 09:01:54 -0400
Philipsburg Manor, a historic restoration in Sleepy Hollow (formerly North Tarrytown), Westchester County, has a working grist mill. The original mill on the site actually dated from the 1680s. There is a book about it, though it's no longer in print. It's Charles Howell and Allan Keller, "The Mill at Philipsburg Manor and a Brief History of Milling" (Sleepy Hollow Restorations, 1977). Howell was the chief miller at the site at the time.

>>> "M. Riley" <[log in to unmask]> 09/23/02 06:42PM >>>
Greetings to the List,

I am working on a paper about 19th century waterpower, and it's impact on society. I have been scanning the net for web sites related to this topic, but would like to find all the working grist, saw and any other mills in New York State and our neighboring states.

I also would like some ideas on books or papers that could help me understand how these mills impacted the local economy.

Mike Riley
Town of Mentz Historian and Empire State College student.