NYHIST-L Archives

December 1997

From:
Rebecca Rector <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 1997 00:09:01 -0500
I have an interesting document published by the National Park Service, 1995
entitled
"Underground Railroad: Special Resource Study, Management
Concepts/Environmental Assessment", USGPO (842-818). In 1990 Congress
directed the Nat'l Park Service to study how to best interpret and
commemorate the UGRR, emphasizing routes taken.

This study has fold-out maps that show documented routes in all states.
There is also an appendix which lists UGRR sites, parks, museums, activities
etc. in each state (not claimed to be complete); plus a preliminary list of
380 sites & structures associated with the UGRR in all states. Lists
addresses, dates, significance...

There is a woman here in the Capital District who was a consultant to the
project. She has given several talks about local UGRR involvement. I can
look up her name, if anyone is interested.

Rebecca Rector, MLS
RbInfo Research Services
Troy, NY

At 01:00 PM 12/29/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Listservers:
>
>I have an enquiry from someone looking for a map of the underground
>railroad in NYS. This person wants something showing the routes and
>possibly sites of udg. rr locations. I know of no such map, but there may
>be one, so does anyone know of a map?
>
>Aside from the fact that many (the majority?) of the sites claimed to be
>underground rr. places are probably mythical or family traditions about an
>old root cellar, we do know that the railroad existed in NYS and perhaps
>some historian/geographer has made a map showing the major routes. Anyone
>know??
>
>Thanks.
>

>                                Jim Corsaro

Rebecca Rector