NYHIST-L Archives

April 2002

From:
George Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 18:21:08 -0400
I am interested in gathering references to instances of group travel
for recreational or social purposes within New York State, or to (or
from) New York City from (or to) outside the state, from before 1850.
I have already a few references from NYC newspapers of the 1820s and
1830s to militia or target companies, fire companies and rowing clubs,
travelling between Philadelphia and NYC.  I would be interested in any
other instances, including travel up and down the Hudson or along the
Erie Canal, or travel by road between smaller communities.

This is with reference to an 1823 reference (reported in the NYTimes of
July 8, 2001) to a group of young men who had formed an "organized
association" to play "base ball".  I am curious as to when the
technology of travel had developed to a point to make it convenient and
affaordable for a group like these young men to travel some distance to
play a baseball game or any other group sport.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Author of A Documentary History of "The African
Theatre", Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998.