From:
Ed Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 12:18:47 -0400
At 05:16 PM 6/25/98 -0400, you wrote:
>My gr gr grandfather was a Port Warden for New York Harbor, appointed by

>Governor Cornell in 1880 and reappointed by successive Governors till he
>Jerry Reed - Whitesboro, NY
>Otsego County NYGENweb Page at http://www.rootsweb.com/~nyotsego
>Lewis County NYGENweb Page at http://www.rootsweb.com/~nylewis

I noted, in passing, some 1850's references to...some
officials(?)...commissioners(?)..the title escapes me...associated with
piers.  Whether this was the office you refer to, I didn't absorb at the
time.  The reference was in either Trow's or Doggett's NYC Directory.
Possibly this listing was continued in the directories through the century.
 I'm not sure these directories for the dates you specify are available to
me--they may be.  I'll be at the library next week and give a look.