NYHIST-L Archives

March 2000

Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 22:52:55 EST
    We have an original letter dated "Plymouth, Nov. 26, 1777," telling of
military actions around Philadelphia in October 1777.  It was written to
Thomas Rodman of Fishkill, N.Y., from a New York soldier, Nathaniel Tom, who
was from Flushing, N.Y., but who died and was buried in South Dover, Dutchess
County, in 1784.  Thomas Rodman was Nathaniel Tom's wife's uncle, and I think
they were Quakers.

    Where was "Plymouth," where Nathaniel Tom was recovering from sickness
when he wrote this letter?  I doubt that he was in Massachusetts.  There is a
"Plymouth Hill" in Dutchess County.  Was there also a village or community
named Plymouth, in Queens County if not Dutchess County?

Paul Huey
NYS Bureau of Historic Sites