NYHIST-L Archives

November 2001

From:
Bill Casey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 16:20:31 EST
Judy:  Please pass on the url to learn about the SUNY Learning Network.

Thanks

Bill Casey
Apulia Sta., NY 13020

In a message dated 11/27/2001 8:30:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Hello Everyone--For twenty years, I taught a course on New York State
 history at SUNY Oswego, using a variety of paperbacks but not text. This
 meant that lectures had to carry much of the structure and chronology of the
 course. This has both good points and bad ones. I also teach a course called
 "Doing History Locally," which is a seminar based on finding and using a
 variety of primary sources relating to local and community history. Students
 always work on one community or another in New York State, using
 manuscripts, printed materials (newspapers, local histories), oral
 histories, architecture as evidence, quantitative material, and so forth.
 This has been very successful and is also a lot of fun for me, since every
 student's paper is different and since most contribute something new to our
 overall knowledge. Copies of student papers since 1972 are in Special
 Collections, Penfield Library, SUNY, Oswego. This fall, I am teaching this
 course on the web, through the SUNY Learning Network, for the first time. It
 is HIS 452/552: Doing History Locally, cross-listed for seniors and graduate
 students.

 Judy Wellman
 Professor Emerita
 SUNY Oswego