NYHIST-L Archives

August 1997

From:
Jim Corsaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 13:46:23 -0900
Ms. Smith:

        We have the records of the Albany Orphan Asylum, begun in
1831 and the records continue to about 1940. They do include some
case files for children, but these files end about 1900 and we have
not had any problem with people using them. In fact we get quite a
few genealogical requests from descendants of the orphans who were
resident there. A recent book by Judith Dulberger, "Mother don'it for the best. Correspondence of a 19th
century orphan asylum," used these records extensively; in fact they
are the archival basis for the book. The AOA is now known as the
Parsons Center, but is not an orphanage any longer. Publication of
most of the recent or modern case files should follow what is usual
practice, that is, removal of personal names prior to publication.

        We also have the records of Vanderheyden Hall, which was
originally known as the Troy Orphan Asylum.

        Both the Troy and Albany records above are extensive; that
is, several cubic feet each in quantity.

        You (or any researcher) are welcome to use these records
from Mon-Fri., 9 a.m.-5 p.m.

                                Jim Corsaro

James Corsaro
Associate Librarian