NYHIST-L Archives

January 2003

From:
Richard Frisbie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 17:01:07 -0500
Carla R Lesh wrote:
> Is there an official "Local History Day" in New York State? Our local
> historical society is beginning to plan an event based on an old
> newspaper clipping mentioning a Local History Day in April.  Are these
> dates set arbitrarily by individual societies, or is there an official
> date?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Carla R. Lesh
> Marlborough Historical Society

Hello Carla R. Lesh
Yes, there is a History Day and a History Month (curiously, the day is not in the month
<shrug>) I think, technically one is called Archive Day - In Saugerties we celebrate it
early in October - the first Sunday, if I remember correctly. November is History Month.
Personally, I think any day you can get folks fired up about local history, regardless of
the month, is fine - BUT - there might be one of those strong suggestions to the Town
Historian (from the state) that it be in October.
You should probably ask Karlyn - I'll cc this to her.
Thanks for the inquiry.
Richard

--
Richard Frisbie
NYGenWeb Greene & Ulster County Coordinator