NYHIST-L Archives

November 2000

From:
Wayne Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:41:58 GMT
I'm certainly not an apologist for 'N.Y.State Library Policy makers,' but
would point out that the Standard requiring all public libraries to have
fax machines by this year was issued (if memory serves) about 1993. And it
does relate to ILL of periodical articles as faxing articles from the
lending library to the borrowing library speeds up the process
considerably. Survey after survey of library users identifies ILL as one of
the most important system services and speed as the number one problem with
ILL.

Beyond that, use of microfilm scanning programs is rapidly increasing.
Using such a system, the lender scans the requested document and either
makes a paper copy, attatches the image to an email (either to the
borrowing library or directly to the borrower), or makes an electronic copy
(floppy disk, CDR, zip disk, whatever).

Of course, this all assumes that you know what you want and where it is
located. It precludes 'shelf reading' or browsing.

But back to your basic point: libraries without microfilm readers. It IS
absurd. And I say this as a librarian and trustee of a public library
system. The vast majority of libraries have extensive holdings of
magazines, rare books, census, and other materials in film or fiche or both
formats. It's relatively cheap, lasts a long time, and takes up little
space (the original reason for its popularity). Eileen should embarass her
local library in public: write a letter to the editor, attend a Board of
Trustees meeting, start a petition drive, something. It sounds like some
wrong-headed pseudo-techno whiz had a bad dream.

Wayne Miller