NYHIST-L Archives

January 2003

Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 06:16:39 -0500
Selah James Earl was my grandfather who died before I was
born. My mother always pronounced it 'Seal yah' and not 'See lah'
as it is in the Bible. He was called Seeley most of the time and
his name appears in the Delaware County census as Seeley.

In Hebrew, according to several Bible reference books I have,
it means tranquil; secure; at rest; pause; quiet; peaceful; serene;
prosperous. It occurs many times in the Psalms.

According to a Metaphysical Bible Dictionary - The state of mind in
prayer in which we relax from our affirmation of Truth and thanksgiving
for good received and to be received, and "wait" on God in the stillness,

that the Holy Spirit may reveal more of its inspirations to us and that
it
may establish our thoughts and our heart more firmly in the divine
harmony and good.

God Bless
Ruth Ann Messick