NYHIST-L Archives

April 2002

From:
David Palmquist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 18:29:12 -0400
Hello Richard:  Buying an intact library of reference books, atlases, gazetteers, etc. in practical terms obviously is more efficient than acquiring the volumes piecemeal, especially if the institution presently owns few if any duplicates.  (And they can sell off the duplicates.)  If the institution has a library, office or other secure, suitable space where the public has access, then this larger collection will be all the more beneficial to researchers.

Since people moved, traded extensively, traveled, etc., an institution's book collection should extend beyond the town or county borders and embrace other geographic areas and subjects.  Given the opportunity to purchase an intact book collection, the institution should acquire as much as it can use and can afford.

Then there is the serendipitous aspect of a book collection.  If the private owner was inquisitive as well as acquisitive, there may be books in the collection that at first don't seem to belong but might relate closely to the other books.  I once attended the auction of a retired librarian's book collection and there were unfamiliar published travel accounts that at first glance seemed out of place, but on inspecting the contents I found chapters or references about NY.

Lastly, if the private owner has manuscript materials, research notes, photographs, prints, maps, etc., relevant to the local area or to local subjects of interest, then clearly these should be kept together.

I hope the parties can come to a satisfactory agreement.

David Palmquist
NY State Museum

>>> Richard Frisbie <[log in to unmask]> 04/17/02 01:41PM >>>
Colleagues
A mid-sized not-for-profit wishes to purchase a
regional NY historian's extensive library. They
asked me if I knew anyone in the academic and/or
State government who could comment on the
importance of keeping such a resource intact for
future researchers. Anyone?
--
Richard Frisbie
dba Hope Farm Press & Bookshop