NYHIST-L Archives

May 2004

From:
"Monje, Scott" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2004 12:10:42 -0400
Here's a tentative response from a dilettante.

The title translates directly as "Big Debt Book."

The first word is spelled "grote" now but would have been "groote" in 1883, prior to a spelling reform. (The uninflected form is "groot," but nowadays adding the "e" is considered enough to maintain the "long o" sound, so the second "o" is dropped when inflected.)

The second word is now "schuld" but was probably "schuldt" then.

The second and third words would be written together now ("schuldboek"), but may have been hyphenated then. It seems unlikely that they would be written separately.

Note: If this is someone's personal ledger, then the spellings may have been idiosyncratic.

Best of luck,
Scott Monje