NYHIST-L Archives

May 2000

From:
Phil Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 14:01:58 -0400
We have a unique opportunity for a student of New York State History, or anyone with a keen interest in history interpretation.

It is so unique that we can't offer any pay for it, but the experience would fit nicely into a variety of courses in American history or even independent study.

We are creating a subject-indexed database of the 2,800 State Historic Markers erected betwen 1926 and 1940 in New York State. These markers represent the first attempt to document heritage sites across the state, but also reveal a lot about the world view and motives of the hundreds of local historians and civic minded citizens who filled out the applications that resulted in these 2,800 cast iron signs.

We are looking for a person, or a team of people, who can scan the texts of these markers and assign them to one of a predetermined list of subject areas. This is a great chance to see what people thought was "historic" in the first half of the 20th century, and the result will allow future research to query the database by subject interest - something never before possible.

If interested, email: [log in to unmask]

For more on the Historic Marker Program, go to: http://www.nysm.nysed.gov/hismarkers.html

Philip Lord, Jr.
Director, Division of Museum Services
New York State Museum