NYHIST-L Archives

February 1999

From:
Gretchen Sachse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 20:35:58 -0500
Don't forget "Tess of the Storm Country" set in Ithaca after the novel by
Grace Miller White. Mary Pickford starred in two silent versions (1915 &
1922), saying it was her favorite role. It was remade in 1932 as a talkie
and once again in the 1960s with Pat Boone, but by then it had been
transplanted to tobacco country. Norma Talmadge actually made a sequel
"Secret of the Storm Country" using the movie studios of the Wharton
Brothers in Ithaca. I don't know of any surviving copies. The 1922 "Tess"
is available on video and should be commercially available in the near
future. meanwhile it is available by interlibrary loan.

I think this has been a fun thread, too.

Gretchen Sachse
Tompkins County Historian
Ithaca, NY