NYHIST-L Archives

November 1998

From:
"Thomas W. Perrin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 22:26:05 -0500
I would hope that access would not be so restrictive as to prohibit fair
use. I would hope that you would keep a record of the item being
accessed, the vitals of the person accessing it (photocopy of drivers
license). These two items alone help safeguard the materials from being
purloined, and, over time, give you an idea of what are the most heavily
used parts of your collection.  I would also hope that you prohibit pens
for the taking of notes, and allow pencils only in your reading room. As
for photocopies, a great many materials just won't survive many trips to
the copying machine.  Digital copying is best, via a high res camera on
a photo stand (I know, dream on....) You should insist on proper credit
for materials in the collection.  And, as a matter for the person in
charge of development, make sure you dun the researcher for donations in
the years to come.  You should also give careful consideration to making
your materials available on the internet. I am so greatful to the J.V.
Brown Library in Williamsport, PA for putting their index to the local
paper on their online catalog that they will be on my Christmas list
this year, and they never heard of me.

Tom Perrin,
East Windsor, NJ