NYHIST-L Archives

April 2003

Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 06:44:10 -0400
Good Morning,

Heritage Hunters maintains the Saratoga GenWebPage at
www.rootsweb.com/~nysarato  and one of our on-going projects is
the Battle of Saratoga.  We started with records/sources that the
Battlefield library contained and now from other sources. To place
a name on this list we have required that there be a record such
as a pension or some other qualified source, including from
Albany County records.

I call upon the members of this list for input as to what you would
qualify as documentation. Since many of the records were burned,
we are searching for other sources beyond Berthold Fernow's
and James Roberts' work.

A question has come up about the 13th regiment of the Albany
County Militia. Of the 13th Regiment, it is reported that 191 were
Saratoga District Taxpayers but would you consider this prima
facia evidence that they were part of the 500 men Governor Clinton
had detached from each regiment and placed under General Ten
Broeck's command to have been at the 2nd battle?

Some members of the 13th Regiment received land bounty
rights but would this, without specific record of being at the battle,

put them at the battles of Saratoga? We have only listed those
shown in various records to have been at Saratoga during the
actual battles.

We would appreciate any record sources known (and their locations)
for further documentation. Our Battlefield Project leader would like to

have some input from this list about qualifying information that does
not specifically state their involvement. I will forward all messages
him and Heritage Hunters board to further qualify our requirements.
If this is not a subject for this list, please email me directly but I
think we all are concerned with documentation. I have found many
occasions in published material where that has not been important
and after researching the original source have discovered that the
author has taken the liberty to change or eliminate some facts.

God Bless
Ruth Ann Messick