NYHIST-L Archives

May 2002

From:
Bill Casey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 12:22:19 EDT
At one time I was loaned a book that described the NYS Program on tree
planting along the highways.  At the time I didn't have a copier readily
available so I didn't make a copy of the title or the article. Remembering
the facts, I think that NYS paid landowners a dollar a tree  to plant and
protect the trees.  It stated the minimum size etc. It was also stated that
it was an offense to allow your horse to damage the planted trees.  I believe
this program started about 1825.  Now the hard part, I believe this was
written in the Highway Commissioners Report of 1889 and it was a green book.
The person that has the book does still have it.  Let me know if you want me
to get more title information.

Bill Casey, President
Fabius Historical Society