NYHIST-L Archives

February 1999

From:
Bob Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 14:18:24 -0500
>>> Phil Lord <[log in to unmask]> 02/16 9:04 AM >>>
The batteau on the website indicated below is of the type unsed in rapid rivers in the later 19th century, especially by loggers in the Adirondacks and Maine, etc. It would not be very close to what was used on the open lakes in the War of 1812.

"Keith A. Herkalo" wrote:

> Ladies and Gentlemen:
>
> looking for drawings and details of batteaux which would have been used
> 1800-1815

 Bob McDonald and Mark Price built a Batteau- A freight hauling flat
bottom canoe.  http://members.aol.com/Batteaux/batteau.html shows
construction and MAIDEN VOYAGE:  Here we are on the 9th of November 96
with the crew and the batteau moments before it slipped into the water for
the first time.

http://members.aol.com/Pitsawyer/pitsaw.html

Perhaps they can help you

--