NYHIST-L Archives

August 2002

From:
George Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:46:38 -0400
The index to the NY Times for July-December, 1891 cites the following, under "Railroad Accidents":
"Ogdensburg and Lake Champlain; Collision with Sunday School Excursion Train near Champlain" August 6, page 1, col. 6
and
"West Shore and Buffalo, Collision at Montezuma, nine Killed", August 7, page 1, col. 5.

And others, at inapproriate dates.  Presumaboy hte August 7 story is the wreck in question.

In addition to the Times, there was published in New York at that time the Sun, the World, the Herald, and the Tribune, all of which are on microfilm and available thorugh interlibrary loan.  The Bobst Library at NYU has all except the Herald.  There would no doubt have been local newspapers, too.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998.