NYHIST-L Archives

February 1999

From:
"harlen d. groe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 21:42:35 -0600
nNY architects in the 20"s and 30"s,

We are most grateful if you or someone can send us information about the
history of a New York architectural firm.  We are especially interested
in making contact with those who may know or know of
an architectural firm by the name of Rassmunsen and Wayland of New York
in the 1920's to the late 30's.

Prof. Robert Harvey, ASLA and I (harlen d. Groe, landscape designer/
preservation) at Iowa State University are trying to find information on
an Architectural firm by the name of Rassmunsen and Wayland, architects,
NY.

Would anyone know what happened to the firm and/ or drawings of
Rassmunsen and Wayland?  Drawings that we have of the four story, 42
room Tudor-style manor/ mansion of the Salisbury House, Des
Moines, IA. (resembling the King’s house, Salisbury, England) have the
address of 36 West and 47th St., New York City.

In conference with Catha Rambusch (Director/Catalog, Wave Hill), she has
sent us a listing of New York business showing that Rassmunsen & Wayland
where in practice as an architectural firm from 1915 to 1936 with 36
West and 47th St., New York City as their address.

They (Rassmunsen and Wayland) were the major architects for a
mansion/house built in Des Moines, IA in the early 1920's for Carol and
Edith Weeks.  The house, Saisbury House, was designed and built after a
house from Salisbury, England.  It has been shown on the national
preservation program A&E (American Castles).

We are interested in knowing what happened to any and/ or all drawings
from the firm, and in particular in the landscape drawings of the
grounds?

We (Prof. Robert Harvey and I) are in the process of drawing the
existing site conditions of the grounds/10 acres and auto/parking with
buildings for the Salisbury Foundation.  These drawings follow
the HABS/HAER (Historic American Building Survey and Historic American
Engineering Record) standards of Ink on Mylar for process and storage
with the Library of Congress.

Drawings here from the local Des Moines architectural firm of Ben Boyd
(1920's) —Boyd and Moore— are sketchy on grounds/ plantings.

Is Rassmunsen and Wayland listed as architects of any landmark
building/s in NY?

Those with interest or knowledge of, may contact (Salisbury House) via
the net —www.salisburyhouse.org or w.bestofiowa.com/salisburyhouse/
or may contact us at our e-mail listings … [log in to unmask] or

In interest of Landscape Architecture and Historic Preservation.

harlen d. Groe
design preservation
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa