NYHIST-L Archives

April 2001

From:
Ruth Messick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 03:30:22 -0400
Hello

Just thought I would mention that several people have sent me messages that
they have gotten onto the Ellis Island site and found their ancestors, so it
is working.

The chairperson for the Computer Interest Group of Heritage Hunters of
Saratoga County gave a demonstration of the Ellis Island site at our meeting
on Saturday, 21 April. She said it took her about 4 hours all together to
download a copy of each page as she did get 'bumped' a few times. But there
is quite a bit to this site including links to other information and
apparently paying members have a better access somehow. She could not
explore all parts of this site but was able to show us how to accesss the
information and we saw ship's manifests with all kinds of information.  Some
we were not sure what it meant but there surely was great information to be
found.

This just reconfirms to me that there are many projects out there that we
know about that we need to consider getting done and make available. We live
in the age of such progress and finding funding for some of these projects
is about the only holdup for some of them.

I also want to say thank you to all of you on this list for the great
contributions of information you have given us. A good number of you have
stacks on your desk to do but take the time to share information which has
been quite valuable to many of us. These messages have become a priority to
read before all others I receive.

God Bless
Ruth Ann Messick
Heritage Hunters of Saratoga County