NYHIST-L Archives

January 2008

From:
NYHISTLED <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:05:03 -0500
The following message is posted by request.

--Moderator, NYHIST-L

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

NEWS OF ARREST FOR ALLEGED THEFT OF HISTORIC STATE ARTIFACTS

Yesterday Attorney General Andrew M. Cuomo announced the arrest of New
York State Archives employee Daniel Lorello, who allegedly used his
position to steal hundreds of historic documents and artifacts belonging
to the State Library, sold some for personal profit on eBay, and traded
others at collectors’ shows.

Press Release from the Attorney General’s Office:
http://www.oag.state.ny.us/press/2008/jan/jan28a_08.html

Both the State Archives and State Library are part of the State
Education Department.
State Education Commissioner Richard Mills stated the following:

 “Any theft of historic documents is an unconscionable act. This
potential theft was reported to the State Library on Thursday, January
17, and we then notified the Attorney General, who has recovered
several
hundred documents. We are now carefully examining those documents to
determine what belongs to the State Library and the people of New York
State.

“All research libraries must balance the need for access by staff
and
researchers with the need for preservation and security. We are now
assembling respected national experts in research library and archives
security. They will examine current security procedures and will make
recommendations to strengthen them. The Board of Regents and I will
make
their report public and carry out their recommendations.

“We are continuing to work closely with the Attorney General and are
grateful for his quick action.”

Judy P. Hohmann
Director of Public Programs and Outreach
New York State Archives
9B52 Cultural Education Center
Albany, NY 12230
Phone: (518) 473-9098