NYHIST-L Archives

August 1998

From:
Greg Ketcham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 11:22:02 -0400
At 01:24 PM 05/08/98 -0400, you wrote:
>>The Ontario County Historian, Preston Pierce, is looking for information re
>>the name Thendara.  Since 1913 the name of a popular Canandaigua Lake
>>resort, Thendara is supposedly the name of a site near Old Forge, NY.  Lyon
>>deCamp is said to have convinced the NY Central Railroad to use the name
>>circa 1920.  Is the name mythological in origin?  Is it native American? Or
>>does it come from popular fiction of that time?  And who is Lyon deCamp?
>>Mary Jo Barone
>>Ontario County Records and Archives

Pardon my ignorance if my response is not on target regarding the question,
but I have not been closely tracking this thread. Regarding Thendara in
Herkimer County, that name apparently applies to the collection of
buildings just south of Old Forge village proper. There is a roadsign
labelling the area "Thendara". A check of the "Existing RailRoad Stations
in New York" website at http://www.spectra.net/~woolever/depot/index2.html
shows that the depot in Thendara was built by the New York Central in 1892.
The facilities are still in use by the Adirondack Scenic Railroad.

regards,
Greg Ketcham