NYHIST-L Archives

April 2008

From:
"Regina W. Daly" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 13:42:04 -0700
Professor:
Search The Iconography of Manhattan Island by
I.N.Phelps Stokes and then try to find a library that
holds this rare set six volume set.  There is no other
work like this one on any city in the world.
Iconography is a three-century history, loaded with a
stupendous number of drawings and photographs. b Good
luck.
Regina Daly
--- Thomas Davis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Colleagues,
>
> Please aid me in identifying references and
> resources on any or all of the
> following:
>
> (1) descriptions of Manhattan in the 1850s,
> including maps or other visuals;
>
> (2) descriptions of housing, housing plans, or most
> common architectural
> styles;
>
> (3) descriptions or studies of the structure of the
> New York waterfront in
> the 1850s, including who worked there in what
> capacities;
>
> (4) travelers accounts of  Manhattan in the 1850s;
>
> (5) historical novels set in Manhattan in the
> 1850s..
>
> Thank you.
>

> --
> T. J. Davis, Ph.D., J.D.