NYHIST-L Archives

July 1999

From:
David Minor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 13:01:22 -0400
Hi,

A possible clue in your searches - Williamsville was incorporated in 1850,
being taken off Amherst that year. Cheektowaga (Chictiwauga, in French's
Gazetteer of 1861) was taken off 1839) Amherst, in turn, was taken off of
Buffalo in 1818. So, at in 1813, it would have been in Buffalo, possibly
even known as Black Rock at that date. Buffalo's own two major hospitals
weren't formed until the 1840s and 1850s. Williamsville would have been at
the outer, eastern edges of the settlement in 1813. Is it possible that a
field hospital was set up at the time. I've done some checking on field
hospitals during the Civil War; most of them were very temporary affiars.
Williamsville would in been in the line of the mass exodus of settlers in
December of 1813 during the burning of Buffalo. According to Pierre
Berton's _Flames Across the Border_ (McClelland and Stewart, 1981,
0-7710-1244-6) reports that only three Buffalo buildings remained unburnt
after the attack.

All things considered, I think you have quite a job ahead of you. Hope this
helps,

David Minor

>Hi!  I am working on attempting to get national landmark status for the War
>of 1812 cemetery located in the Town of Cheektowaga.
>
>A hospital was established in Williamsville, New York in 1813.  I am trying
>to get additional information regarding the location of this hospital.  The
>information I have been able to find has been very vague regarding it.
>
>Anything you can do to help will be appreciated.

David Minor
Eagles Byte Historical Research
Pittsford, New York
716 264-0423

http://home.eznet.net/~dminor

includes NYNY, a series of timelines covering New York City and State, from
approximately 450,000,000 BC to 1990 AD.