NYHIST-L Archives

February 1999

From:
David Minor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 00:33:03 -0500
I have no specific information on the "Redpath" Chautauqua. Redpath is a
who, not a where - James Redpath, possibly from the Boston area, who began
booking speakers for lecture tours in 1868.

There aref several books on the subject of Chautauquas in general.
According to The Reader's Encyclopedia of American Literature it's been
written about in We Called It Culture: The Story of Chautauqua, by Victoria
and Robert Ormond; and Culture Under Canvas: the Story of Tent Chautauqua,
by Harry P. Harrison.

For a personal memoir of touring with the Chautauquas see Pioneers in
Greasepaint by Warren D. "Bob" Hanscom (Bradernton, Florida, Collins and
Company, 1975).

Eventually the traveling chautauquas transmuted into the International
Platform Association (IPA), a group of touring lecturers centered first in
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, then Lakeside, Ohio, and finally Washington,
D. C. My mother, a harpist, used to attend their annual conventions and my
brother and I attended a few of the Ohio ones, back in the early fifties.
Among the people we kids met were Geoffrey O'Hara, who wrote the song
K-K-K-Katy (he played and sang it for a bunch of us one afternoon around
the piano in the lobby of the Lakeside Hotel), and Hal Holbrook, who was
touring with his one-man Mark Twain show and just beginning to make a name
for himself.

Hope this provides some clues for your search.

David

>        In what state is Redpath?
>

>Milton M. Klein                       |   phone: (423) 974-2806
>University of Tennessee, Knoxville    |   email: [log in to unmask]

David Minor
Eagles Byte Historical Research
Pittsford, New York
716 264-0423

http://home.eznet.net/~dminor

includes NYNY, a series of timelines covering New York City and State, from
approximately 450,000,000 BC to 1990 AD.