NYHIST-L Archives

October 1999

From:
Diane De Rooy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 21:12:15 EDT
Hi, I'm in New York City right now, here doing research. Any suggestions for
the best way to find birth, marriage and death records here in the city?

I'm documenting the life of Jerry Newman, a man who had the foresight to
record jazz greats including Charlie Christian, Charlie Parker, Dizzy
Gillespie, Monk, and numerous others. He owned Esoteric Records, as well as
the Greenwich Music Shop. He died by his own hand on 8 January 1970.

I know very little about this man who contributed so much to music, as well
as being a major character in the Beat Generation.

Any tips will be appreciated.

Diane De Rooy