NYHIST-L Archives

February 2006

From:
Natalie Naylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:30:14 -0500
The entry on Camden in the Encyclopedia of New York State mentions a
number of 19th and 20th century industries (including turbine foundry,
woolen factory, woolen mill, tannery, furniture factory, and packing
companies for local corn. In 20th century, wire companies, furniture,
and stamp companies. It was on a railroad line from 1850. A copy of the
Encyclopedia is in all NYS public libraries; it's a valuable reference
resource.

Natalie Naylor
Hofstra Prof. Emerita

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/21/06 8:21 PM >>>
Hello.  I recently drive through Camden, NY (Oneida County, north of
Oneida Lake) for the first time and didn't realize that there is such a
charming village in the midst of otherwise relatively run down little
hamlets in this area near Tug Hill.  Camden has some beautiful Victorian
homes and has the look of a place that once had quite a bit of wealth.

I tried a web search to find out what once went on there, and what goes
on there now, and found little.  So here's a question:   what was the
reason for the development of Camden, and do any primary economic
activities still exist there?

Thank you.