NYHIST-L Archives

July 1997

From:
Kathleen Roe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 11:52:15 -0400
As New York approaches the year 2000, it continues to face the
challenge of informing the present and future by preserving the records of
the past.  The State Historical Records Advisory Board, a thirteen
member body appointed by the governor,  has received a planning grant
from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission to
develop a long-term strategic plan to ensure the preservation of, care for,
and access to New York's documentary heritage.

The Board has developed a Draft Strategic Plan, and is making it available
for review by interested people and organizations in New York.  We
would like to invite you to assist us by doing one of the following:

1.  Attend a public meeting in your region to meet with members of the
State Board planning project, and provide us with your thoughts on and
reactions to the Draft Strategic Plan.   The meeting schedule is at the end
of this message.

2.  Provide your thoughts and reactions in writing to the State Board.

  Copies of the plan may be obtained by email request from:
[log in to unmask], by telephone 518.474.4372, or is available on
the SHRAB website at: http://www.shrab.nysed.gov

The plan, when completed, will serve as the blueprint for developments
statewide for the next decade  and will influence how state and federal
resources for historical records programming are allocated in New York.
We strongly encourage you to review the plan and to tell us your
thoughts on the priorities we have identified, the goals we have
established, and the activities you think are most needed by those who
create permanently valuable historical materials, those who keep
historical materials, and those who use them.  Your input is a critical to
making this an effective plan.  We hope to see you at one of the public
meetings!

Schedule of Public Meetings on the SHRAB Draft Strategic Plan

Syracuse/Central New York Region
Central New York Library Resources Council,
Syracuse, New York
July 30, 1997
10 a.m. - 12 noon

Western New York Region
Western New York Library Resources Council,
Buffalo, New York
August 4, 1997
9:30 a.m.- 11:30 a.m.

Rochester Region
Ontario County Complex,
Fire Safety Building,
Hopewell, New York
August 4, 1997
2 p.m. - 4 p.m.

Capital District Region
Cultural Education Center, Empire State Plaza
Albany, New York
August 5, 1997
10 a.m. - 12 noon

Southern Tier/South Central Region