NYHIST-L Archives

January 2003

From:
Patricia Morrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 16:56:12 -0500
My Bible has a proper names index that lists Selah as meaning "forte (?), a
musical direction, pause." The word turns up several times in Psalms and
once in Habakkuk. It was used for the first name of males in the 18th and
19th centuries, but I haven't come across it very often. A search of the
Greene County genealogy site turned up barely half a dozen men with that
name.

Patricia Morrow, Windham Town Historian (Greene County, NY)

>Ok, this may be a stupid question, but was "Selah" a common first
name in the 19th century?  I keep finding it in my records here, and I think
it's being used as a male first name, but my only other recollection of it
is as a kind of exclamation in the Bible. Does anybody have any information
on this?