NYHIST-L Archives

August 1998

From:
Edward Knoblauch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Knoblauch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 19:00:03 -0400
The most readily available work on this is _Massacre at Fort Bull: The de
Lery expedition against the Oneida Carry, 1756_(1971). Appendix 'c' has a
reproduction of the Crown Collection map of the forts built after 1756 at
the Oneida Carry.

 _The Documentary History of New York_ vol. 4 pp525-27 also has maps of the
same time and place.
The maps and plans in Mante's _History of the Late War_ (London, 1772) are
also useful.

The "female French engineer" you refer to is probably Mary Ann Rocque. Her
husband was John Rocque (d 1762), "Topographer to His Majesty" She published
_A Set of Plans and Forts in North America, Reduced from Actual
Surveys_(London, 1763).

Edward Knoblauch