NYHIST-L Archives

September 2002

From:
Sandy Moffett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:32:08 -0400
I missed the innoculation question so am not sure what was being asked, but
I do know that Salem Massachusetts also had numerous votes to allow it and
finally opened several "hospitals" for just that in 1790's(?).  This is
discussed in Dr. Bentley's diaries (Pete Smith, 1963) where he records the
names and which hospital the people stayed after innoculation and the health
of the individuals.  He also compared the results to a later outbreak of the
real small pox in town.  Judith Sargent Murray also was innoculated (not
sure of date) and she wrote about it in letters (see Bonnie Hurd Smith's
book "From Gloucester to Philadelphia in 1790").

Hope this helps.

Sandy Moffett Parks