NYHIST-L Archives

April 2000

From:
Vicki Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 11:13:12 -0400
Newspapers published in 1791 might provide clues. You can see what's available to you through interlibrary loan by looking at the microfilmed newspapers collection available at www.nysl.nysed.gov/nysnp, the home page of the New York State Newspaper Project.

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/25/00 12:01PM >>>
I'm editing a journal kept by a Vermont Quaker from Ferrisburg in the 1780s
and 1790s. He describes traveling from New York City Albany in 4th month
(April 1791) in verse beginning:

Aboard Peter Docks, I set off to come home,
At Albany Pier, the sloop had lay
And with a pleasant breeze we sailed away

The rest of the poem is about a conversation on religion with a fellow
passenger.

The journals couldn't spell and had terrible handwriting, so I try to check
any proper name.

(1) Can anyone identify the "Peter Docks" -- apparently a Hudson River
sloop.

(2) Where is the "Albany Pier" -- New York City?

Christopher Densmore