NYHIST-L Archives

August 1997

From:
Tom Terbush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 17:17:31 -0400
Michael D. Bathrick wrote:

> I would use it as evidence - but I would consider it only as the
> lowest
> level of evidence.
>
> Mike

Mike:

I know that from growing up in cattle country, a registered ear mark or
brand was considered a very firm piece of evidence, so firm that it was
enough to convict a person for theft and for a judge to sentence to
prison or death in late 19th century.
A bill of sale may be forged; likewise a genealogy can be "enhanced";
however, it is difficult to forge an earmark or brand.