NYHIST-L Archives

August 2002

From:
Wayne Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 16:43:08 -0400
Adobe Acrobat documents use a proprietary format. While the reader is freely
downloaded, the editor is not. And it may be superceded (I'm sure will be)
by a different format. That is why the current best practice is to scan, OCR
(to convert the picture of the words that the scanner makes back into a text
document), use XML to make the document web friendly, and use XSLT
stylesheets to deliver the document as Acrobat, HTML, or whatever comes down
the pike (by writing another stylesheet).  This is not simple or fast, but
holds the promise of being flexible enough that you won't have to scan and
put your documents in another format in a few years.

On CD life: some folks claim that better quality CD blanks like the Kodak
Gold have a data half-life of 100 years. Now, what is the life expectancy of
CD as a current technology? Will you have a working deck in five or twenty
years? Anyone have a 5 1/2" floppy drive?

Wayne Miller
Plattsburgh State