NYHIST-L Archives

October 1999

From:
Hugh Mac Dougall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 14:44:55 -0400
So far as I can make out, there is no single date that can be assigned. The
New York State Legislature had met in Albany a couple of times before (in
1788-89 and 1794), but only settled permanently on Albany with the session
that began on January 3, 1797. At that time there was some discussion in
the press of the cost of transferring archives, etc., from New York City to
Albany. Only on April 6, 1804, however, did the Legislature pass an Act
authorizing the building of a State Capitol and Court House in Albany. When
the Governor moved permanently to Albany I have not noted.

Hugh C. MacDougall
Secretary/Treasurer
James Fenimore Cooper Society
8 Lake Street, Cooperstown, NY 13326-1016
<http://library.cmsu.edu/cooper/cooper.htm>